Almost all women have heard of varicose veins. Even girls in their twenties are susceptible to this ailment. But most face this problem during pregnancy, especially women with a hereditary predisposition.
At first the defect is only cosmetic, but pain appears over time. In advanced conditions, the disease can develop into thrombophlebitis (a common complication of varicose veins), damaging the mother and the fetus. How to avoid such consequences, the best recipes for treating varicose veins and preventing the disease; You will learn all of this from the following material.
Causes of occurrence
Giving birth to a baby is a difficult test for a woman, especially in the second half of pregnancy. During this period, the lower torso is in constant tension, bearing considerable loads. Blood vessels cannot cope with the accumulated work and burst, this is the main cause of varicose veins on the legs of pregnant women.
Also, blood flow increases to nourish not one organism, but two at a time, in some cases three! The uterus increases in volume, increases the pressure, which interferes with the natural blood flow, this is another important factor that causes this disease.
There are other reasons for the development of the disease:
- rapid weight gain, overweight;
- repeated pregnancy;
- physical inactivity, sedentary work;
- changes in hormonal background;
- hereditary predisposition;
- bad habits;
- taking a lot of sun.
Also, during pregnancy, all latent or chronic diseases are exacerbated, so turn to disease prevention. If the problem persists, use the treatment recipes.
First signs and symptoms
This disease does not manifest itself at first, but over time, you will definitely feel discomfort and other signs:
- the veins swell, visible to the naked eye;
- various types of meshes are formed: this is the result of the rupture of blood vessels;
- at night there is severe leg fatigue, swelling;
- the pain does not go away in the morning, the situation worsens;
- Varicose veins occur not only in the legs, but also in the pelvic area (uterus, lips). In such a situation, only a doctor will identify this ailment, but if you feel itching, pain in the groin, inability to sit for a long time, immediately consult a gynecologist;
- In advanced cases, patients have lower extremity cramps.
If you find any of the above symptoms, you should inform your doctor, he will clarify the diagnosis and prescribe competent treatment.
Pregnant women have the following types of varicose veins:
- lower limbs. This type is the most common, the ved legs are a support for the whole organism, they have to cope with the load that has appeared;
- vagina. Most often it is diagnosed during the second pregnancy, it is worth the immediate intervention of doctors, because such a pathology can complicate childbirth;
- uterus. This problem is faced by women who have had abortions, have had sexually transmitted infections or are due to a genetic predisposition;
- in the groin. It is accompanied by intense pain in this area, it interferes with normal gait.
Avoid self-diagnosis and self-medication, think about the future baby, only the doctor will accurately determine the type and course of subsequent actions.
Effective exercises and treatments
Consult your gynecologist, the best option would be if you write a referral to a limited specialist: phlebologist (a doctor who treats chronic venous insufficiency or CVI).
Said doctor, depending on the stage of development, the location of the pathology, will prescribe the following drugs:
- topical application of ointments and gels;
- take special tablets (phlebotonics), which strengthen the walls of blood vessels from the inside, help to recover already damaged;
- anticoagulants. These drugs help thin the blood, prevent the formation of blood clots, which clog the blood vessels, which burst over time. They are used in extreme cases, as this can lead to placental abruption, bleeding;
- special underwear. The doctor will select for you compression stockings, stockings, with a supportive effect. They can be used for prophylaxis (70 den) or for treatment (100-280 den);
- all kinds of traditional medicine will help with the expansion of veins in the legs, read the recipes below.
Important!If you find severe edema, redness in the area of vein swelling, sharp pain, fever, don't hesitate, but call an ambulance!
When you arrive at the hospital, notify the staff of your problem, do not start this process after your baby is born.
Gymnastics useful for pregnant women, these exercises will help relieve fatigue, reduce pain and swelling:
- Sit on a chair, move your feet in a circle, do not lift your heels off the ground;
- Stand up straight, stretch the left leg forward, turn first with the foot, then with the whole leg, alternating legs;
- It is useful to walk on tiptoe, walk around the whole apartment 3-4 times, then walk on the outside and inside the foot;
- Sit on a comfortable surface, lift your heels off the floor, socks should stay flat to the floor, and then return to the starting position.
Do each of these exercises 10 times, preferably 3 sets. Consider your health and the length of your pregnancy, you should not try too hard.
Varicose veins can be treated with surgery, but in extreme cases. Such manipulations are strictly prohibited to pregnant women.
Treatment with traditional medicine
Some women only trust doctors, but there are methods tested by our mothers and grandmothers. These recipes do not contain chemicals, everything is only natural, so there are no special contraindications for pregnant women, except for individual intolerance to some components.
List of the most effective remedies for varicose veins:
- apple cider vinegar.It can be used externally and taken internally. Rub a little of this product on your skin every night, to enhance the effect, drink 1 glass of water with 1 teaspoon of vinegar after meals. Do not expect a quick effect, such a disease requires long-term treatment. You will see the first positive results no earlier than a month;
- green tomatoes.Cut this fruit into circles, stick it to the swollen veins, wrap it with an elastic bandage. Do such manipulations every night, wash the compress with water in the morning. The course of treatment is about 5-6 months, but the result is worth it;
- potatoes.This product is in all kitchens, grate 5 fresh potatoes, apply it on the feet, wrap it with plastic wrap and keep it for about four hours. Such a compress will immediately relieve pain, over time the veins will decrease;
- horse chestnut.Prepare a tincture of this ingredient: pour the inflorescences (50 g) with vodka (1 liter), let it brew for 2-3 weeks in a cool place. Strain before use, take 2 tablespoons a day, the course of treatment is ten days, then take a break of 5 days. After 3-4 courses, you will notice a significant improvement in the condition of your veins;
- lilac tincture.Soak 200 g of plant leaves in 800 ml of vodka, let it rest for about a week. After the expiration of the period, strain, rub the legs with the resulting solution. Carry out such manipulations every night until full recovery;
- nettle.This treatment method is long (about a year), but absolutely safe. Drink a decoction of nettle every day for 1 glass (break the reception 3-4 times). Potion recipe: 2 tbsp. pour tablespoons of the dried plant with 1 cup of boiling water, leave for 25 minutes. Drink the broth for 1 month, then take a break for 14 days, then repeat the course of treatment;
- apples.Everyone knows a variety like Antonovka. Take 3 of these fruits, pour 1 liter of boiling water, wait 30 minutes, crush the apples into porridge, strain the broth. Mix the resulting infusion with vodka, honey (1: 1: 1). Take 1 tablespoon on an empty stomach. spoon in the morning and before going to bed at night. This treatment lasts about a month, you will notice an excellent result;
- silver wormwood.Crush the fresh flowers of this herb well into a homogeneous mass + the same amount of sour milk, stir the mixture. Lubricate your feet with the resulting porridge, cover with gauze. Perform this procedure for no more than 5 days, take a break for 3-4 days, then you can repeat the course of treatment 2-3 more times;
- Kalanchoe.Mix dried leaves of this plant with vodka (1: 1), leave for 1 week, shake the content periodically. Rub the tincture on the skin of the legs, the pain will disappear, a feeling of lightness will appear, the veins will become less noticeable. This type of treatment is also time consuming (3-4 months).
Use these products only after consulting your doctor. You can combine medications with home therapy. You must remember to follow the diet (eat cereals, vegetables, not fatty meats), this will help the body to cope with the disease.
If you have not had varicose veins before pregnancy, there is no hereditary predisposition and you are not overweight, then it will not be difficult for you to take all preventive measures.
Tips to avoid chronic venous insufficiency during pregnancy:
- give preference to shoes, with low heels, listen to your feelings, you must be comfortable;
- going for a swim will help not only in the prevention of varicose veins, but also in other diseases. Water treatments are also beneficial for the fetus;
- sleep on your left side after the first trimester. This will reduce pressure on the vein on the right side;
- do not cross one leg over the other while sitting, this will compress the vessels;
- they do not stay in one position for long, they are in constant motion, this is very useful for the baby. Of course, if there are no special contraindications;
- do not wear tight elastic bands, give up stockings for a while, with tight elastic bands and other tight wardrobe items;
- watch your diet, avoid sweet, salty and fatty foods. Leave the chips and sodas in the past too.
It will be good if you are examined by a qualified specialist during pregnancy planning, so it will be much easier to prevent or cure small deviations from the norm, because most drugs cannot be used during pregnancy.
Check your body condition, if you find any unpleasant symptoms, immediately contact your doctor. Then you and your baby will be absolutely healthy.