This is the middle of the circulatory system.
It is also a matter of concern to millions of people around the world.
Vein diseases are widespread. Scientists have calculated that up to 15% of middle-aged men and 30% of women suffer from varicose veins - vasodilation of the venous system. Among the elderly, the proportion of patients with venous disease is even higher.
Therefore, many people go to the doctor to treat inflamed blood vessels. Sometimes with surgery. In other cases, conservative drug therapy, exercise, and special underwear.
We will talk about stockings for varicose veins later. In the meantime, we will assess the danger of the disease and its possible complications.
Varicose veins can affect any part of the venous system, but their favorite target is the vessels in the legs.
Vein vulnerability is easy to explain.
When blood flows through the arteries to the organs, it moves primarily downward. That is, the force of gravity helps blood flow and therefore there is usually no accumulation of blood in the arteries. It flows through the arteries to the feet. The blood comes back up through the veins. At this time, the problems begin: the force of gravity slows down the blood flow and some of the blood constantly struggles to drain.
The situation is not terrible. Yes, blood circulation in the veins is difficult, but the body has protection mechanisms against such discomfort.
Inside the vessels, venous valves grow that shut off the flow of blood and return it to the bloodstream. Muscles also help blood flow. The veins contract and press, and as a result, blood circulation improves.
In diseased vessels, the movement of blood is affected. This happens for several reasons:
- Long immobility
- Advanced age
- The pregnancy
- Hormonal imbalance
In varicose veins, the valves are often weakened or damaged. Therefore, blood accumulates in certain areas of the vessels, presses on the venous walls and causes expansion.
Symptoms are not serious at first:
- Feeling of heaviness in the legs.
- Blue or purple vessels appear on the skin.
- Skin discoloration
- Itching and burning in the veins
These signs of the disease often go unnoticed, and sometimes people just get used to them. Therefore, they allow varicose veins to develop.
Yes, it can take years for more serious symptoms to appear. But without treatment, complications are inevitable and are not as harmless as the first manifestations of varicose veins.
The consequences of running varicose veins:
- Trophic ulcers. . . Wounds that do not heal next to diseased vessels. The tissues do not receive the necessary nutrients and gradually die. A symptom of the formation of an ulcer is the area of the skin that is white. To stop the development of complications, you should consult a doctor as soon as possible.
- Bleeding. . . Enlarged superficial veins sometimes rupture. The bleeding from such vessels is not very strong, but medical attention is still needed.
- Blood clots. . . Dilated vessels are a comfortable environment for blood clots, which doctors call blood clots. These formations interfere with blood circulation. Sometimes they also break off and can reach the lungs with blood. This phenomenon is called pulmonary embolism and it often leads to respiratory failure and even death.
The further the disease progresses, the greater the risk of complications. Another problem is that developed varicose veins generally cannot be removed with conservative treatment and an operation is required.
It's so much easier to deal with that up front. Complex treatment with socks against varicose veins shows excellent results. This underwear is also useful for disease prevention.
What are compression stockings for?
This shirt improves blood circulation in the legs. As a result, the pain and swelling that bothers many people is reduced. Lingerie also helps against more serious diseases, for example, it reduces the risk of deep vein thrombosis and the likelihood of blood clots.
Elastic varicose veins stockings are made of a special material that stretches well and conforms to the leg. The T-shirt gently squeezes the veins. Typically, underwear puts the most pressure on the ankles, and upward the pressure decreases.
Doctors prescribe compression stockings for different purposes:
- Vein support
- Prevention of blood accumulation.
- Prevention of trophic ulcers.
- Fight against venous hypertension
- Improving lymphatic drainage
When knitwear puts pressure on the glasses, it has several positive effects:
- Reduces the diameter of the veins.. . . Blood flows faster through narrow vessels. Therefore, it rarely collects in one place, and blood clots rarely occur.
- Improves blood flow. . . Thanks to the added pressure, blood flow speeds up and travels faster from the feet to the heart.
- Prevent bleeding. . . Despite the force of attraction, blood rarely flows through the veins and does not fill the connecting vessels.
Some athletes even wear compression stockings in their workouts. For example, runners and basketball players. Underwear protects tissues from damage and accelerates the supply of oxygen to the muscles. After training, muscles recover faster.
Of course, shaping stockings for varicose veins cannot be considered a magic artifact that will save you from any blood vessel problems. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Like other medications, compression stockings are not good for everyone.
Indications and contraindications for wearing compression underwear.
Do not buy tight stockings yourself. First go to your doctor and check what type of shirt you need.
Find out the size. Compression ratio. And other characteristics of the underwear that you will wear for months.
Buying knitwear without a doctor's recommendation can damage blood vessels. For example, the stockings put too much pressure and, as a result, the blood circulation in the veins is even more affected. The result is that the condition of the vessels deteriorates.
Sign up for a consultation with a phlebologist about choosing compression underwear. And also check the indications and contraindications for such stockings.
Doctors prescribe slimming underwear for diseases:
- Chronic venous insufficiency
- deep vein thrombosis
In addition, the sweater is sometimes prescribed to healthy people who are at risk of vascular disease. The need for stockings arises:
- During pregnancy. . . The body of the future mother is exposed to great stress. The hormonal balance is disturbed. From this, the venous walls weaken and often expand. The amount of blood in the body also increases. For the child. The increase in blood volume greatly increases the load on the vascular walls. The tissue helps the veins maintain their normal shape under such strong pressure.
- Due to increased stress on the legs.. . . At work, many people have to stand for a long time, and therefore pressure on the vessels of the lower extremities increases. Frequent straining can cause varicose veins. Lingerie supports the veins. Therefore, they remain healthy even in people who spend the entire working day on their feet.
- With a sedentary lifestyle. . . The less a person moves, the more difficult it is for the veins to pump blood. Muscles do not work and do not improve blood circulation, so blood often pools and dilates blood vessels. Knitwear stops vein swelling.
- After vascular surgery. . . The success of the surgical treatment depends to a great extent on the correct recovery of the patient. When the procedure is finished, the doctor prescribes knitwear. It must be used strictly on time, since any violation of the regimen can provoke a relapse of the disease.
The correct choice of elastic underwear is very important. Phlebologists prescribe knitwear of a certain degree of compression and class, depending on the disease and risk factors of the patient.
Compression stockings are completely safe for most people. They have only a few limitations:
- Peripheral arterial disease suspected or already diagnosed
- Severe peripheral neuropathy
- Extensive leg or lung edema after heart failure
- Allergy to knitting
- Skin and soft tissue problems: gangrene, dermatitis, severe cellulite
Individual patients simply cannot wear elastic underwear effectively.
Sometimes just temporarily. For example, they have leg injuries and need to wait for them to heal.
In other cases, it is permanent. For unusually shaped or deformed legs, compression stockings will not work. It just does not hold the limbs properly, and therefore it will be useless against diseases of the veins.
How to choose compression stockings
Elastic sweater against varicose veins includes models of different lengths. Some cover their legs completely. Others only go up to the knee. It depends on the purpose of the compression stockings.
An important characteristic of linen is pressure, which directly affects the efficiency of knitwear. Stockings should fit snugly around your legs, but shouldn't hurt.
Some models are specially designed for operated patients. They are not suitable for other people.
The doctor will determine the degree of compression of the knitted stockings for the treatment of varicose veins. Therefore, be sure to make an appointment and buy elastic underwear only after the consultation.
Check the knitwear at the store. Choose products:
- Antimicrobial and hypoallergenic.
- Withouth stitches
- With a shelf life of 12 months.
- RAL quality standard
With proper care, such underwear will last for a long time, and you will not have to change it until the end of the course of treatment.
Types of compression stockings
All models of slimming knitwear are divided into three types:
- Preventive. . . These products are not considered medical and therefore can be purchased even without a prescription. They only hold the glasses. This underwear reduces fatigue and leg pain. Knitwear puts weak pressure on the veins and is perfect for the prevention of vascular diseases, but they do not cure varicose veins.
- Therapeutic. . . The most extensive group of elastic stockings. For these products, the level of pressure in different areas is different: near the ankle, the underwear tightens more, and on the leg, the pressure weakens. The medical t-shirt is prescribed by a doctor. The stockings are intended for people with varicose veins and thrombophlebitis.
- Anti-embolic or hospital. . . This bedding is prescribed for people who must stay in bed after surgery. Helps reduce the risk of deep vein thrombosis. High compression class. The pressure on the different parts of the stockings is different, as is the case with medical devices.
Yes, you can buy elastic underwear on your own for the prevention of vascular diseases. But we still recommend that you consult a doctor. He will help you choose knitwear. The phlebologist will also inform you about other preventive methods, so you will learn much better how to protect your veins.
Compression ratios of compression stockings
According to the level of pressure, elastic underwear is divided into four classes:
- Compression up to 22mm Hg. Art. Such a t-shirt helps stop the development of varicose veins: it eliminates edema, spider veins and other signs of varicose veins.
- Pressure up to 32 mm Hg. Art. Class II stockings are prescribed for patients with chronic venous insufficiency, thrombophlebitis, and varicose veins. Knitwear is also used for prevention in people with a sedentary lifestyle.
- Compression up to 46mm Hg. Art. These stockings are worn by patients with trophic disorders and congenital defects of the vascular system.
- Pressure up to 50 mm Hg. Art. Doctors prescribe such a shirt only for people with severe forms of venous disease. Lingerie is used to treat severe edema.
Correctly selected level of compression allows you to successfully fight vascular diseases, while inappropriate knitwear also damages the veins.
Choosing the right size for your underwear is equally important.
Compression stockings size chart
Make sure to measure your feet before buying your clothes. You need to measure:
- Calf area
- Ankle circumference
- Thigh circumference
- Leg length from floor to hip
- Foot length
Take all measurements in the morning after waking up. Do not get out of bed: this way you will get the most accurate results that cannot be obtained in a standing position due to the pressure on the vessels. The recorded leg measurements will be helpful when using the stocking size chart.
|The size||Height (cm)||Weight, kilogram||Hips, cm|
|S; S1||150 - 162||41 - 55||90-100; 90|
|SUBWAY; M1||152 - 170||55 - 75||88-100; 98 - 115|
|L; L1||155 - 175||58 - 95||113-130; 98 - 115|
|SG||167 - 180||68 - 95|
|XXL||160 - 178||85 - 108|
How to put on and wear compression stockings
First, put on elastic underwear immediately when lifting. Without even getting out of bed.
Raise your leg. It must be above the level of the heart; in this position, the pressure in the vessels decreases. Gently slide the foot in and slowly pull the fabric up.
Smooth your stockings. They should fit snugly against the skin. Straighten the folds. The upper part of the clothing should not be folded down, otherwise the T-shirt will be pressed like a tourniquet, and as a result, the blood circulation will be affected.
Taking off compression stockings during the day is not recommended. Alone in the shower or bath. Before going to bed, lie down on the bed and lift your legs. Then take off your clothes.
How long should knitwear be worn?
Ask your doctor. Mild forms of varicose veins can be eliminated in a few months, but chronic diseases are a more serious problem. Phlebologists sometimes recommend that patients wear elastic stockings for several years. In rare cases, my whole life.
With a careless attitude, knitwear will not last even several months. Therefore, it is necessary to take proper care of it.
Compression Stocking Care
Stockings don't seem like a durable product. And in fact, in general, their shelf life does not exceed 12 months, and in many cases, clothes break and deteriorate even earlier.
First of all, the stockings must be washed. Includes jersey with antimicrobial protection. Remember: you wear elastic underwear all day and dead skin cells are constantly accumulating on it. So wash it daily.
Best of all: by hand.
For washing, use baby soap or other delicate products that will not damage knitwear. Clothes cannot be boiled.
After washing, squeeze the water out of the stockings very carefully. Do not stretch them or damage the fabric. You can wipe the moisture with a towel.
Dry knitwear on a flat surface, only in hot or cold places, as high temperatures can destroy the material.
Even with proper care, stockings will sooner or later lose their elasticity. Sometimes after a few months. Less often, after a year.
How to change the shirt in time?
The loss of elasticity is easy to notice in the morning when you put on your stockings. Old compression garments put on very easily. Hence the conclusion: it is no longer holding the legs with the necessary force, and therefore it is necessary to buy a replacement.
How much to wear compression stockings after surgery
Stretchy knitwear is not only included in the complex treatment of vascular diseases and is used to prevent varicose veins. Such underwear is also prescribed for patients who have undergone surgery. Sometimes for several days. In other cases, for months.
The doctor determines when to wear the stockings.
After treatment, knitwear should be worn at different times, depending on the procedure:
- Cesarean section: up to three weeks
- Removal of the uterus: two to eight weeks
- Laporoscopy: from three days to a month.
- Kidney removal: five days to four weeks
- Gallbladder removal: 10 days to a month.
How much to wear compression stockings after sclerotherapy?
It is necessary to take into account the number of vessels treated by the doctor. During the operation, the phlebologist destroys the inner walls of the veins by various methods, which inflames them. Blood circulation in the vessel stops, and after a while the diseased vein completely disappears. Blood moves through other vessels.
Compression stockings in this case help keep the treated veins closed and prevent blood from entering them. Therefore, the vessels disappear faster.
Stretch underwear should be worn for up to four months if the doctor has operated on one or two veins. It is necessary to keep a greater number of extracted vessels for a longer time: six months. Also, this is not a complete term. Both the patient wears second-class pullover, and then the doctor can replace it with first-class underwear.
Shaping stockings are also used in other vein surgeries. For example, they are helpful in recovering from phlebectomy and miniphlebectomy.
But endovasal treatment does not require compression therapy, and underwear is worn only if signs of venous insufficiency (edema and trophic disorders) persist.
Unfortunately, this information is not universal. It cannot be applied to absolutely all situations and to all people. The doctor prescribes knitwear and determines how long patients should wear special stockings.
Reading information about stretch underwear is a good start, but the real fight against vascular disease will only intensify after a visit to the doctor.