Varicose veins on a woman's legs are treated by surgical methods. Minimally invasive procedures can be used to close the dilated veins. Most often, sclerotherapy is used for this purpose. But most women don't want to see a doctor, much less go under the knife. They prefer to treat varicose veins at home.
How to treat at home?
It is impossible to cure varicose veins at home. Although a conservative treatment is used, it does not reverse the pathological process and does not improve the condition of the woman in the long term. Goals of home treatment:
- reduction of symptoms of varicose veins;
- reduce the likelihood of complications;
- slow down the progression of pathology;
- improving the quality of life.
At home, a woman can use drugs from a pharmacy, folk remedies, compression clothing. It is possible to use procedures that reduce the severity of the symptoms, as well as the observance of hygiene at work and rest, which allows to improve the quality of life somewhat.
Recommended procedures to use at home:
- hot and cold shower;
- lying down with legs raised;
- baths with salt or soda, decoctions of herbs;
- physical exercises.
It is possible to wear compression clothing: tights or golf. They narrow the lumen of the veins, fully or partially compensating for the malfunction of the venous valves.
How to deal with medications?
There are many medications for the treatment of varicose veins. Different drugs have different functions. It is advisable to agree on its reception with a doctor, because the dosage, the duration of the course, the combination of drugs is selected based on your state of health and the stage of varicose veins.
Women can use the following groups of medications at home:
- Phlebotonic.The preparations are mainly of plant origin, which, after oral administration or application to the skin, increase the tone of the venous walls, thus narrowing the lumen of the vessels. They have a temporary effect that lasts for several hours. Tablets are more effective than ointments.
- Antioxidants (vitamins E, C, alpha lipoic acid)they are used to improve tissue trophism. These drugs are necessary to slow down the destructive processes that occur in tissues due to a violation of their blood supply.
- Antiplatelet Agents.Medicines that reduce the chance of blood clots. Usually for this purpose, acetylsalicylic acid is used in low doses. Drugs in this group also have an anesthetic and decongestant effect.
- AnticoagulantsThey are applied to the skin in the form of a gel. These are medicines that contain heparin. Reduces the likelihood of blood clots.
How to deal with pills?
Basically, the pills used for varicose veins in women are venotonic. All of these pills are toxic to the stomach, therefore:
- the course of treatment should be limited;
- pills should not be taken for peptic ulcer or gastritis;
- the dose must be controlled by a doctor;
- The tablets should be taken only after meals.
We remind you that varicose veins are not cured with pills. They are used only to alleviate the symptoms of the disease.
How to deal with home remedies?
Treating most diseases with home remedies is a useless idea. But this does not apply to varicose veins on the legs of women. The fact is that almost all the drugs used in this disease, which are sold in pharmacies, are of plant origin. Therefore, you can use herbs or foods that contain the same active ingredients as medicines.
It should be borne in mind that the treatment of varicose veins with folk remedies has a number of disadvantages, compared to the use of drugs from a pharmacy:
- There is no way to control the dose. Therefore, the risk of side effects will be higher and the probability of reducing the symptoms of varicose veins is lower.
- Time consuming process. You will have to make decoctions or infusions on your own, which will take a lot of time and effort.
- Bad taste. Obviously, swallowing a pill is more pleasant than drinking a serving of a smelly broth or an alcohol tincture. The application of home remedies externally is not always effective and, in addition, it is not always pleasant due to the specific smell that spreads throughout the house.
More or less effective folk methods:
- The use of infusions and decoctions of grapes or chestnuts allows you to increase the tone of the vascular wall. Most effective when taken orally. Local use is unlikely to have a significant impact on the course of varicose veins.
- Local use of warming agents (camphor oil, horseradish, pepper). Reduces swelling, pain, relaxes muscles.
- A decoction of willow bark inside. It contains acetylsalicylic acid, which has an analgesic effect and reduces blood clotting, reducing the risk of blood clots.
Ineffective home remedies for varicose veins (not worth trying):
- decoctions of most plants: burdock, wormwood, comfrey, acacia;
- compresses of food products: beets, potatoes, honey;
- Rituals, spells, prayers, conspiracies can help someone, but their effectiveness is not clinically proven.
Like pharmacological treatment, alternative therapy has an exclusively symptomatic effect. That is, the means you use do not cure anything, they only reduce the clinical manifestations of varicose veins, improving the quality of life.
The main methods of treating varicose veins are sclerotherapy and surgery. It is impossible to return the glasses to their previous appearance. Treatment at home is possible, but it is not aimed at completely curing the disease, but rather improving the quality of life of the woman, reducing symptoms, slowing down the development of varicose veins and preventing complications. Treatment at home is done using treatments, compression garments, pills, or home remedies.