In order to maintain the physiologically correct pressure in the lower extremities, in complex therapy and prevention of varicose veins, compression stockings are widely used today.
In the medical literature, such special underwear is also called medical hosiery, varicose vein, compression underwear or medical compression hosiery.
These are the stockings, which are recommended by phlebologists as a treatment and prevention of various problems of the blood vessels of the legs. Compression underwear is mainly used for varicose veins, thrombosis, epithelializing trophic ulcers, thrombophlebitis, lymphedema.
- The therapeutic effect of compression underwear is due to the effect of supporting and tightening the dilated vein, which contributes to the redistribution of blood flow from dilated and altered veins to healthy ones.
- Improves tissue nutrition, increases blood circulation.
- Most importantly, such a shirt, when worn correctly and in the correct size, reduces the risk of blood clots.
- And what is also important, in the absence of contraindications of compression underwear for use, there are no side effects, this is a safe and simple method to prevent varicose veins, keeping the veins in a natural physiological state.
The therapeutic effect of compression stockings for varicose veins?
Previously, before the large-scale production of high-quality medical clothing, elastic bandages were widely used, the use of which has a number of disadvantages:
- First of all, they have to be applied very correctly every time, which does not always work and takes a long time.
- Secondly, the appearance of the bandages does not allow to use them, for example, to work.
- thirdly, the low price for them is deceptive, as the bandages deteriorate very quickly, which cancels all the savings.
What is the effect of wearing medical medical jersey? By tightening the dilated veins, varicose compression garments accelerate blood flow through the deep veins, thus eliminating venous congestion. In addition, modern high-quality compression stockings provide a grad, that is, a gradual decrease in pressure from the lower leg to the thigh or from the hand to the shoulder.
For example, in the lower leg, the pressure created by compression stockings or pantyhose is at most 100%, and in the upper part of the thigh it is 40%. This is the most convenient and physiologically determined pressure change, which has a therapeutic effect. This mode of pressure distribution in the veins stimulates and normalizes upward blood flow due to:
- improvement and normalization of the valve apparatus
- reduction of the enlarged lumen of the peripheral veins, especially the saphenous veins of the thighs and lower leg
- Increase the effect of the muscle pump: when the muscles contract from physical exertion, the blood is pushed upwards.
However, it should be remembered that compression linen treatment for varicose veins does not eliminate the root causes of venous insufficiency, and is used before radical surgical treatment. This shirt mimics the situation: that enlarged veins are sealed or removed.
In addition, non-surgical conservative treatment of leg diseases must be comprehensive. The maximum effect can be obtained if you use creams, ointments recommended by your doctor, lead a healthy lifestyle, wear compression stockings or stockings every day, and also use home remedies to treat varicose veins.
Contraindications to the use of compression stockings.
As with any treatment, each remedy or medication has a number of contraindications, and the medical scrub top is no exception. Some people should not wear compression garments, others should wear them with caution after a full diagnosis and consultation with a doctor. If there are relative contraindications, you should consult a dermatologist, cardiologist, endocrinologist.
- Such underwear is absolutely contraindicated for atherosclerosis, obliterative thromboangitis, endoarteritis, orthoarteritis. With such chronic diseases of the arteries of the legs, which leads to a decrease in the lumen of the vessels and systolic blood pressure of less than 80 mm. rt. Art. It is categorically impossible to reduce pressure on the lower extremities with the help of a medical jersey.
- Knitted medical garments should be used with caution by people with overly sensitive skin.
- Compression underwear is not recommended for inflammatory skin conditions, allergic skin reactions, various dermatitis, pressure ulcers, open wounds, acute thrombophlebitis, and eczema.
- Diabetes mellitus is a relative contraindication, since in case of damage to the vessels of the legs due to diabetes, such underwear should not be worn either.
- With septic phlebitis and severe cardiopulmonary failure, when circulatory disturbances occur at rest, compression stockings should not be used either.
Many people are afraid to start wearing compression underwear due to the fact that there is an opinion that the pullover provokes the development of atrophy of the muscle layer of the walls of the veins, and when its use is stopped, the Opposite negative effect, when the venous wall can not resist the arterial pressure in the lumen of the vessel. Therefore, due to the atrophy of the vein walls, the existing varicose veins will progress further.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to conduct clinical studies on all compressed veins, but phlebologists believe that this opinion is wrong, as:
- The patient cannot wear compression garments throughout the day.
- In compressed veins, blood flow slows, rather than stops completely.
- Muscle wall atrophy most often occurs with a genetic disposition and a specific local inflammatory process with venous stasis and filling of the veins. And all this is reduced by wearing a sweater.
- This can only happen according to the initial sensations of the patients when the use of bedding is stopped. In this case, there is a temporary deterioration of the condition and well-being for a time, which is explained not by the atrophy and progression of varicose veins, but by a temporary decrease in the tone of the venous wall.
- Patient feedback and feelings at the end of wearing compression underwear with varicose veins: It is difficult for most to get used to starting walking after wearing compression stockings. Many argue that when using a medical product, the legs become, so to speak, light and many no longer want to give up their use.
How to choose compression garments
Medical compression underwear, jersey is divided into: hospital, which is used only in hospitals, prophylactic and therapeutic. We will consider in detail the compression classes of anti-varicose medical compression stockings, how to choose compression underwear, how to wear it and how to care for it.
The most important point is to buy compression stockings, pantyhose, knee-high stockings exclusively from specialized salons, orthopedic or famous brand distributors. In them, trained personnel know how to accurately select the size of clothing, since an incorrect size can make the treatment absolutely ineffective. In a special store, the seller will measure the leg in 4 places and select the size of the stockings or stockings according to a special table.
There are 4 degrees of compression:
- 18-21 mm. rt. Art. Compression class 1 is a prophylactic compression that can and even should be constantly used by people: prone to varicose veins, pregnant women, people with initial signs of varicose veins, when the veins under the skin strongly stand out, if pain in the legs appears . after sitting or standing for a long time, if the spider veins are pronounced and edema appears in the area of the feet and ankles at the end of the day, healthy people whose lifestyle and work forces them to sit or stand during long time: office workers, drivers, hairdressers, salespeople.
- 23 - 32 mm. rt. Art. Compression class 2 is the best popular class used to treat thrombophlebitis and varicose veins.
- 34 - 46 mm. rt. Art. Compression class 3: used for trophic disorders and severe venous insufficiency.
- 49 and over 4 compression class: used very rarely, with lymphatic edema.
Those who choose anti-varicose knitwear for the first time should not immediately buy expensive underwear of the second degree of compression, their vascular system may not be able to support it. When you walk in cheap underwear for some time, get used to it, if you feel comfortable in it, you can choose better and more expensive compression underwear.
For prevention, of course, it is worth wearing only underwear of the first compression class, and already with the development of varicose veins, the compression class is determined by the phlebologist. Compression underwear cannot cure varicose veins, since the reasons for their appearance are very deep, and external influence can only be suspended, it is not allowed to develop further, that is, compression stockings for varicose veins are designed to prevent the appearance of new varicose crowns. In summer, of course, it is impossible to wear knitwear, so in the hot season you need to take oral medications or use other methods of treatment.
You should also know that any compression underwear maintains compression for no more than 5-7 months.
The opinions of some women on the quality of compensation underwear from various manufacturers show that expensive models are not always better in quality than inexpensive ones. The bedding made in Germany is of good quality, the prices of which are quite reasonable.
What to look for when buying and how to avoid counterfeiting?
There are quality standards for medical compression underwear for varicose veins, one of the most important and strict is the European standard RAL-GZ-387. In order for a manufacturer to use the logo in this standard, it must undergo strict certification in Germany or Switzerland. If the underwear has such a certificate, it means that it is really high quality, creates a distributed pressure of 40-70-100% and is therapeutic. You can find information about this standard on the product packaging and label.
It is worth choosing a manufacturer very carefully, as there are many fakes on our market, so it is better to buy compression stockings or compression stockings in dealer stores or in specialized stores, where specialists will accurately select the correct model. according to your measurements.
Since such knitwear must be worn every day, it must be hypoallergenic; To determine this, the purchased product must bear the mark of the European Oeko-Tex Standard 10 environmental safety standard.
Are there any peculiarities when it comes to wearing compression stockings, tights, golf?
You should be aware that even the second class of compression stockings, which is considered the most common, is sometimes "out of reach" for the patient:
- Often times, this occurs due to discomfort and difficulty in putting on the undergarments of the feet. The peculiarity of this type of knitwear is that they cannot be worn like children's tights, collecting them on an accordion and then lifting them up. Both stockings and leggings should be worn gradually, spreading over the leg. If a person has a large belly and tying a lace in a boot is already a problem, it will also be difficult to put on underwear.
- To facilitate placement, many use special devices that are offered in the same classrooms. And also gloves, which must be worn, can be both domestic and medical, since expensive underwear can be damaged by a manicure and underwear will slip better if you have your hands in gloves.
- Naturally, the toenails need to be cut, filed, there should be no calluses, roughness, otherwise the clothes will quickly burst or there will be a lot of puffs.
- It is also important that the legs are dry, as well as the underwear, to wear compression stockings in the morning, when the legs are not swollen and rested.
- It is especially difficult to use class 3 compression products; this is a lot of work, and if the patient believes in his phlebologist and is sure that he needs such treatment, he must be patient; otherwise, you should not start treatment of this class. It is generally recommended to use class 3 and 4 compression using a special special device.
How to care for compression garments?
- It is better to have 2 pairs of compression stockings, as they need to be washed every day; This is necessary to remove the smallest specks, dust and particles from the skin, as they can damage the fibers of the clothes faster than detergents.
- It should be hand washed only with baby soap as it cannot be washed in washing machines. The water temperature during washing should not be higher than 40 C, and it is also impossible to iron and bleach clothes.
- Any brightener and conditioner has a destructive effect on the structure, therefore they should not be used for washing either.
- Dry the clothes flat on a horizontal surface, in no case squeeze them, just press them gently with a towel. Do not dry knitwear with a battery, in a conventional dryer in an upright position, in the sun or with a hair dryer.
- You should also take care of the silicone strips in the stockings, they quickly lose their fixing properties after contact with water, try not to get them wet when washing them, but wipe them with an alcohol napkin.