Representatives of the stronger sex suffer from varicose veins at least as often as women, because deformation of the veins can occur anywhere. However, in men, the appearance of a deviation is usually associated with great physical exertion, obesity and pathologies of the internal organs. If you find a problem, there should be no particular difficulties regarding how to treat varicose veins on the legs in men, as there are many ways to get rid of the unpleasant symptoms.
Conservative therapy for varicose veins.
The veins of the lower extremities can be deformed in anyone, regardless of gender. The signs of the development of varicose veins of the legs in men, as well as the methods of treatment, are similar to those in women.
The difference lies in the fact that women pay more attention to their health and appearance, which is why they often turn to a doctor for help. Men often see a specialist when the disease is very advanced and surgery is required.
Pathology can affect not only the vessels of the legs. Varicose veins in representatives of a strong half of humanity can be present in the abdomen (for example, due to excess weight), in the testes (varicocele), in the esophagus and stomach, as well as in the small pelvis ( PMVMT).
Treatment of varicose veins of various locations in men with medications is an additional method to combat the disorder. Medications can help relieve symptoms, especially in the early stages.
When prescribing drugs, it is important to take into account their compatibility, otherwise you may get the opposite effect.
If we talk about the first type of drug, an appointment is prescribed:
- phlebotonics, which increase venous tone, improve blood flow, eliminate congestion and swelling;
- anticoagulants that reduce blood clotting rates, reducing the risk of blood clots;
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that eliminate painful sensations and weaken inflammation;
- antioxidants that normalize lipid metabolism, accelerate cell regeneration, normalize blood circulation.
In addition to drugs, patients are prescribed vitamin-mineral complexes in the form of syrups, tablets and pills, which allow the body to better fight the disease.
Minimally invasive treatments
When the question arises as to what is the best way to treat varicose veins in the legs in men, a phlebologist may recommend a method that does not require a long stay in the clinic and allows you to achieve a quick recovery.
We are talking about a minimally invasive intervention that provides for the elimination of the violation under local anesthesia:
- endothermic ablation;
The advantage of this approach is that it is painless and less traumatic. During the procedure, a small incision is made in the affected area or an injection with a fine needle.
Previously, the doctor finds out why the disease appeared, since determining the cause of varicose veins allows him to competently approach its treatment.
The technique allows to effectively treat varicose veins in men due to radiofrequency or laser exposure to areas with diseased vessels.
The essence of the procedure is to heat the venous wall using a laser (endovenous laser ablation, EVLA) or high frequency radio waves (RFA) until the vessel is completely sealed. Thus, blood begins to circulate through healthy veins.
The appeal of endothermic ablation is due to:
- perform manipulations through small incisions;
- minimal discomfort;
- significant weakening of symptoms.
After RFA, the patient may feel a tingling sensation in the operated area. Intravenous laser treatment sometimes causes bruising, leg heaviness, and pain. Short-term nerve damage is not excluded.
If there are contraindications to endothermic ablation, sclerotherapy (sclerotherapy) may be prescribed. It provides for the injection of a chemical (sclerosing) into the vessel, as a result of which the vein is also sealed.
The technique will be most effective in the presence of a vein affected by varicose veins.
Injected with a fine needle, the solution causes the glass to thicken and close completely. A great advantage of sclerotherapy is that no anesthesia is needed.
To avoid repeated blood flow to the treated vessel, bandages with a sclerosing substance are applied, while special gymnastics is recommended.
The choice of treatment method depends on the stage of the disease, the number of varicose veins and the wishes of the patient himself.
The minimally invasive procedure, despite the positive effect, does not exclude a relapse and the need for repeat therapy. Side effects include blood clots, headaches, pigmented areas, and temporary visual impairment.
Surgical treatment of varicose veins
Having found out whether men have varicose veins and what is the reason for their appearance, it is necessary to think about their removal. If, with a mild course, drug therapy is sufficient, severe cases require serious surgical intervention.
Conservative treatment and techniques with minimal tissue damage will be ineffective if varicose veins in men are accompanied by significant worsening of symptoms and complications.
During the operation, a probe is inserted into the foot through an incision in the proximal end of the venous vessel of the diseased leg, after which another incision is made in the region of the distal end of the vessel. After securing the vein to the head of the probe with a ligature (special thread), the surgeon gently removes it.
Usually such manipulations are carried out several times, since it is difficult to remove the affected vessel in one step.
Short removal is a procedure that involves removing only a small section of a deformed vein.
Contraindications for the intervention:
- high risk of complications after surgery;
- violation of blood circulation and lymphatic drainage in the legs;
- blood clots;
- skin infections
If necessary, extraction is combined with sclerotherapy. This is appropriate if varicose veins are simultaneously affected by veins of different sizes.
A common technique that is well suited to the symptoms of varicose veins in men's legs. To remove the affected vessel, the surgeon makes a 1-2 mm incision and with a special instrument (Varadi's hook) removes the vein, the ligament and crosses it. The manipulations are performed under local anesthesia.
Mini-phlebectomy is generally prescribed to:
- large diameter of the saphenous veins;
- atypical location of varicose veins (for example, in the foot area);
- vessels near the surface of the skin.
The operation is prohibited for patients with high blood pressure, cardiac ischemia, trophic ulcers and infectious skin lesions.
Men who are delayed with the surgical method of treatment can develop diseases of the cardiovascular system, serious pathologies of the veins and blood vessels.
This technique has many advantages:
- minimal trauma;
- high performance;
- lack of scars;
- a short period of rehabilitation.
In rare cases, bruising, bleeding, thrombosis appear after the procedure. In the course of the removed vessel, the color of the skin may change for a short time.
It is a modern hardware method of removing varicose veins on the legs. The anesthesia used is general or local. The vein is removed through one or two small punctures, while an instrument with a built-in cold light source is inserted, which allows the varicose nodes to be distinguished.
However, practice shows that such a technique can cause many complications due to rather crude manipulations performed within the vein.
In particular, such an intervention can result in seals, bruises, lymphorrhea, hyperpigmentation of the skin, and neurological disorders.
Traditional methods of treatment.
One of the directions of alternative medicine is treatment with folk remedies. Naturally, its use will be effective in the initial stages of varicose veins. To properly carry out therapy at home, it is essential to coordinate it with a phlebologist.
He will tell you which methods will be the most effective and safe, and which ones are better to abstain.
use of datures
The plant cleanses blood vessels well, promotes reabsorption of blood clots, improves metabolism and blood circulation. However, it is important to remember: its seeds are poisonous, therefore it is dangerous to use drugs without the knowledge of the doctor.
Recipe and method of using the tincture:
- crushed seeds in a coffee grinder (80-100 g) are poured with vodka (0, 5 l) and placed in a dark place for 2 weeks, while the container should be periodically shaken;
- the initial dose is 15 drops, diluted in half a glass of water, once a day before meals;
- the daily dose is increased by 1-2 drops to 25;
- the duration of therapy is one month.
Datura is also suitable for compresses. For this, cotton is moistened in a tincture, diluted with water, applied to diseased areas, covered with a film and fixed with a bandage. For the procedure, the same dose of the drug is taken as for internal use.
Honey, garlic and lemon
It's hard to overestimate the beneficial properties of this combination of products, often referred to as the elixir of youth. They are used both individually and together, which only enhances the effect.
For example, honey has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and vasodilator properties. Eliminates cholesterol accumulations, affects the metabolic rate and eliminates toxins.
Lemon contains a lot of ascorbic acid. Thanks to him, the work of the circulatory system is normalized and cholesterol plaques are absorbed.
Garlic is known for its ability to fight infection and lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It is an excellent remedy to improve vascular elasticity.
Examples of recipes:
- Lemons should be passed through a meat grinder twice together with the skin and all the contents (5 pieces), as well as the garlic (5-6 cloves). Porridge is mixed with honey (500 g) and placed in a glass container. For treatment, you need to use 1 teaspoon 2 times a day. a mixture previously diluted in 1 glass of water.
- The mixture prepared by the above method should be transferred to a 3-liter jar and completely filled with warm boiled water. The container is placed in the refrigerator for 10 days. Before use, the liquid is filtered and taken in 1 tablespoon. iodinated 2 times a day.
Don't forget that these products can cause unwanted reactions. It is undesirable to use them for allergies, acute inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, hemorrhoids, kidney failure, diseases of the genitourinary system.
Traditional medicine suggests applying slices of green tomatoes to sore veins. This should be done at night for an extended period. The secret of the method lies in the content of lycopene, an antioxidant that increases the elasticity of blood vessels and protects them from the influence of free radicals.
The substance prevents the oxidation of low-density lipoproteins, which is the cause of the formation of cholesterol plaques and the blockage of the vascular lumen.
It is useful not only to use tomatoes for compresses, but also to eat them regularly.
The composition of the plant determines its strengthening and tonic properties. Nettle reduces the viscosity of the blood, thus ensuring its normal circulation. Decongests, accelerates regenerative processes and prevents the appearance of cholesterol accumulations.
Ways to use nettle:
- The leaves (1 tablespoon L. ) are placed in a container, filled with water (200 ml) and set on fire. After boiling, the stove should be turned off. The cooled broth is filtered and drunk three times a day 20 minutes before meals.
- The dried plant (6 tablespoons L. ) It should be poured with vodka (0, 5 l) and left in a dark place for 2 days. The tincture is taken before meals for 1 tablespoon. I 3 times a day, and it is also used for compresses.
The first positive results can be observed only after 2-3 months, but the course should last much longer.
Nettle-based products are contraindicated in patients suffering from allergic reactions, diabetes mellitus, trophic ulcers, high blood pressure.
If there is a characteristic symptomatology that accompanies varicose veins in men on the legs, many other home remedies will help:
- Sour milk is mixed with minced wormwood until soft. The mixture is applied to gauze and applied to problem areas overnight. After 5 days of therapy, you take a break.
- Ground nutmeg (1 teaspoon) is poured with boiling water (1 glass), and honey (1 teaspoon) is added. The drink is drunk 30 minutes after insisting an hour before meals, and then after another 2 hours.
- For the tincture, you need to pour alcohol (0, 5 l) horse chestnut flowers (50 g) and leave to infuse for 2 weeks. Every day the drug is stirred. Reception scheme: three times a day, 1 tbsp. l. , washed with water.
An important point: nutmeg can relieve painful discomfort and speed up the healing of trophic ulcers. However, non-compliance with the rule can lead to dangerous consequences. It is allowed to take no more than 3-5 g at a time.
Treatment by external use
With varicose veins of the lower extremities, therapy with external agents is recommended. It is useful for men with diseased blood vessels in the legs to use ointments and gels, which are especially good at removing the initial manifestations of an unpleasant disease.
Compared to ointments, gels have a lighter consistency, allowing them to be quickly absorbed into the skin, delivering healing substances to the affected area in a short time.
Both women and men suffer from the development of varicose veins, while the causes of the disorder are very diverse. And to cope with the signs of the disease, which become more pronounced as it progresses, phlebologists advise to act in a complex way.
In other words, patients with deformed veins in the legs should supplement drug therapy by wearing compression stockings, performing a series of exercises and massages.
Physiotherapy exercises, although they do not completely eliminate pathological manifestations, but significantly improve the condition of the veins. It is necessary to train not only in the presence of a disease. Gymnastics is an excellent prevention of varicose veins in the legs in men.
The main thing is that the exercises are selected by a phlebologist, since it is important to take into account the severity of the disease, concomitant pathologies and other factors.
With varicose veins, it is helpful to do the following:
- Pretend to ride a bike while on the floor or in bed. After 30 leg rotations, you should get some rest.
- Sitting on a chair, alternately lift your socks, then your heels (20-30 times).
- Lying on your back with your legs straight, bend and unbend your toes (20 reps).
- He walks on tiptoe in various approaches. You can stay still.
A great solution is to ride your bike daily outdoors. As a last resort, an exercise bike at the gym or at home will do.
Surely, there is no longer any doubt about whether men have varicose veins. Accordingly, they also need a competent approach to the treatment of pathology. As for massage, a correctly performed procedure helps reduce pain in the lower extremities and improves blood circulation.
A similar method of treating a violation is most effective at that stage of the disease when there are no pronounced symptoms.
- wounds, cuts on the skin of the legs;
- feverish condition;
- inflammatory or infectious process;
It is advisable to entrust the massage to a qualified specialist. If a man decides to perform the procedure on his own, it is important to be very careful.
Before the session, it is necessary to keep the legs in an elevated position, after which an anti-varicose ointment is applied.
The massage must be attended regularly, only then will the first effect appear.
The fight against the signs of varicose veins is carried out using:
- stroking from ankle to knee;
- circular movements in the lower leg;
- intensive thigh massage;
- Circular and zigzag movements in the lumbar region.
At the end of the procedure, stockings are put on or an elastic bandage is used.
The use of knitwear with compression properties allows you to evenly distribute the load on the lower extremities, eliminate the feeling of heaviness and fatigue, and also prevent the progression of pathology.
Manufacturers produce lingerie for both women and the stronger sex.
The medical t-shirt is presented by products in the form of:
One or the other option is selected taking into account the location of the deformed vessels.
Also, the stage of the disease is important:
- With initial signs, knee-high stockings with compression rates not greater than 21 mm Hg are adequate. Art.
- Progressive varicose veins and thrombophlebitis require the use of varicose vein stockings for men with a pressure of up to 32 mm Hg. Art. They are also prescribed after surgery.
- If there is lymphovenous insufficiency, trophic disorders, the use of category 3 knitwear is indicated (pressure indicator: up to 46 mm Hg).
- In the presence of a severe form of pathology, accompanied by thrombosis and lymphedema, you should wear underwear with a compression of 49 mm or more. rt. Art.
To avoid the occurrence of a violation, in particular, in the postoperative period, it is recommended to wear prophylactic knitwear (15-18 mm Hg).
Varicose veins in men are quite treatable if you see a phlebologist in time. The longer the disease is present and the more severe its symptoms, the greater the risk of dangerous complications.